Sunday, July 17, 2011

Grandma Manwaring

This is my grandma Manwaring.
She lived in Blackfoot, Idaho. She is my mom's mom. In this picture, she is the same age as I am. This is how I remember her. She was a very special woman and I loved her dearly. She passed away when I was 16 years old.

Now here is a picture of me now.
Hmmm, wonder what we have in common.

Some things I remember about my grandma:
  • She lived in "town" and would babysit us when my mom would go shopping.
  • She played the piano and the organ and would play for us to dance and march.
  • She didn't make wheat bread like my mom, but she would make white bread and would fix cinnamon toast for us. Mmmm.
  • The only cookie I remember her making was oatmeal - but- she would make cereal candy and send it home with us in cereal boxes. We make that same candy now and call it cornflake candy. Love it!
  • She never had an electric stove, but cooked on a wood-burning stove.
  • We could make tunnels and tents with her chairs and couches and blankets
  • Grandma would let us play in her wheat and sugar with cups and dishes. Mom would get mad at grandma and say, "Why do you let them make such a mess?"
  • She would sew us little books out of brown paper sacks. We could then cut pictures out of the catalogs and glue them into the books with RUBBER CEMENT. We never had that glue at our house. I thought it was cool!
  • She had a big heat vent in the floor of her living room that would blow up our dresses when we would stand over it.
  • She was always a full figured woman and she was very soft when she hugged you or held you on her lap. No bony bones like I have on my shoulders. :)
  • We could climb in her apple tree and pick green apples and eat them.
  • She lived by the railroad tracks. Noisy.
  • The lilac bushes. Oh how I miss the fragrance and beauty of that flower.
  • She had a green thumb and beautiful flowers in her front yard.
  • She wouldn't kill a daddy long leg spider. She would sweep it outside and tell us that it was a good spider.
There are so many more memories. She was the only grandparent that I had and she died when I was sixteen. If you knew grandma, share any more memories you can remember.

1 comment:

Shelli said...

Candice! What sweet memories of Grandma. I wish that I had known her---all the stories sound like she was a lovely woman. I think it's crazy that you two are the same age in those pictures! You are a pretty hip and happenin grandma, and I'm sure your grandchildren will have many sweet and unique memories of you as well!