Saturday, February 13, 2010

Sugar Cookie Sna-foo


I love sugar cookies!
Of all treats I might choose to have on a "free day" if I'm dieting, it would be sugar cookies. So I saw these cute smiley-face cookies on this magazine.
"Oh how fun would it be to make those", I thought. But I'll make hearts with happy faces. So....I purchased the magazine, and purchased all the "special" ingredients that I did not have or have ever used....
  1. Unsalted butter
  2. Meringue powder
  3. Black food coloring
The cookie dough recipe has no baking powder or salt, but still a good taste. Icing recipe is only powdered sugar, meringue powder and water. How nasty does that sound? Time consuming.....had to whip for 6 minutes.......really?!? Where's the good stuff: butter and vanilla?

How in the heck do they make that icing so smooth on the cookie? I'd like to see someone do that! One more thing.....ever tried to make black icing? It's grey and darker grey and never quite black. I used 1/2 a bottle of the food coloring and then gave up. Well, here's my version of the cookie:
As you can see, I'm not good at smooth icing OR a steady hand to make happy faces. And what is my review of this recipe? Cookies too crisp, icing too bland, I wasted a whole box of powdered sugar (the recipe made 2/3 more than was needed), and too much work. Here's how I felt after the ordeal:

Why didn't I just stick to my regular SUGAR COOKIE recipe I've used for 35 years with that delicious butter and vanilla in it?!?


5 comments:

Bonnie and Kirk said...

I tried a new one that I LOVE. I'll have to send it to you. It doesn't have eggs in it. Wish I would have known about it last year when I couldn't eat eggs. Look on the bright side, at least you tried them and now you know.

With Love, Bobbi said...

I hopped onto the same boat you were rowing! Spent all day Saturday making 4 NEW cupcake recipes. The only recipe worth while saving is the BOSTON CREME! Bad thing was, I gave them to all my family and friends, and now I'm embarrassed!

Shelli said...

Can I just tell you that I'm so glad you are updating somewhat frequently? I love hearing what you have to say! I found a fab sugar cookie recipe---much better than the dry ones with nutmeg that we ate growing up. I'll send it to you or post it myself. Love you, sis!

rondak10 said...

Love your cookie story, and the pictures of your grandkids

accin

rondak10 said...

Love your cookie story. It was fun to see your grandkids' pictures