Saturday, June 12, 2010

Summertime BakeOff 2010

It's a great day here in sunny Arizona. The temperature has dropped from the high 111 degrees to a delightful 90 degrees today! This was also the day of the BakeOff! What a fun event it turned out to be. We enjoyed cooking demonstrations, all the contestants received an embroidered apron, pictures, a baking quiz, a tasting table of amazing cooked deliciousness, and the announcement of the winners! I entered the Summertime BakeOff 2010 with two entries: Raspberry Jam Chocolate Chip Cookies and Oatmeal Cake.

All the contestants were so excited as the winners were announced. First the cookie category - "Good for You Chocolate Chip Cookies". Even though I didn't plan on winning anything, it was weird---I must admit, I was actually a bit disappointed that I didn't win in the cookie category. Next, the winner in the cake category - "Oatmeal Cake". What? Are you kidding me? I am really the winner of the $100 cash prize? Holy Smoke! I was speechless! I didn't even know what to say....but I wished I would have said. "I started making this cake to use up the left over oatmeal my kids didn't eat for breakfast!" That's how Oatmeal Cake started. I'm thrilled the judges liked it and - yes - the money is very, very cool. Bread category winner - "Naughty Crescent Rolls" entered by Megan Clifford. Brownies & bars category winner - "Banana Bars". All delicious!

Peggy, Megan, and I sporting our BakeOff aprons.

Here's Megan and I with our winnings!!

3 comments:

Bonnie and Kirk said...

That is SO cool! Good job! I have to say that oatmeal cake is awesome and now I want to make it. Love the aprons!

Calli O. said...

COngrats MOM. I am very proud of you! And I'm so happy that people have an exciting event to look forward to now. What would this world be like with out all of my nerdy ideas and aspirations!

With Love, Bobbi said...

Awesome! Did you save me a bite? Hum.... sounds like a celebratory lunch out may be in store!