Saturday, April 17, 2010

Goodbye Old Friend!


Well, the day has finally come! My Bosch Breadmaker has died.
It has been in the family now for 31 years. It's older than my three youngest children. I must say that I could do a great commercial for this appliance. I had it serviced only once -- for the motor. The bowl was replaced at a "pretty penny" quite a few years back after I made chocolate chip cookies and was just too lazy to switch from the beaters to the hooks. (Gee whiz....I'd done it before and the bowl didn't crack completely in half like it did that day!) So....it has been well worth the money spent on it back in 1978.

I also treasure the memory of the Christmas Day I received it as a gift from my husband.
(And here we are... back in 1978)
Money was pretty tight for us back then and I wasn't expecting it as a gift. (Oh sure, he knew that SOMEDAY I wanted one when we could afford it). And he was even able to hide it from me! I was completely shocked and tearfully surprised that day for such a thoughtful gift from Steve when I know it took many electrical "side jobs" to pay for it.

When I think of the hundreds (a thousand, maybe) loaves of bread that were made in this Bosch plus the cookies, muffins, batters, etc. well....I just don't know what to say, except GOOD-BYE OLD FRIEND.

What to do now.....hmmm, buy a new one?

3 comments:

With Love, Bobbi said...

Definitely a new Bosch. My girls have the Kitchen Aid and it doesn't compare. Also, the warranty is not as good. So does this mean mine will go out in 3 years (inside joke).......... hahaha

{Jesica Huffaker} said...

Ok, I can really appreciate this story. It sounds silly to be emotionally attached to something such as a Bosch but I'm that way with certain things (my ugly couches). Looks like a new Bosch will be coming soon!! Darn :)

Heidi Robinson said...

Candice, I LOVE your picture! So I have a Bosch - my college roomate had one and I loved it. When her grandma passed away they were goign through her stuff and found her old Bosch from who knows when. My roomie saved it for me and it runs great, and is definatly over 30 years old!